Looking for an easy appetizer recipe? Make these chilli cheese straws with less than 5 ingredients in less than 20 minutes. They are simple and tasty and lots of variations can be made. Serve it with dips, soups or just as a quick snack.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Flour for dusting
- Thaw puff pastry according to package instructions.
- Pre heat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry sheet on a flour surface. Using a rolling pin roll out the puff pastry to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Prepare egg wash by beating 1 egg with 1 tbsp water.
- Brush puff pastry with egg wash.
- Mix cheese, paprika and pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Spread cheese mixture on half of the puff pastry.
- Fold other half of puff pastry over cheese part. Press it down firmly and using a rolling pin roll it gently.
- Brush egg wash on top of the puff pastry.
- Using a cutter, cut out 1/2 inch length wise strips.
- Gently twist the puff pastry strip and place it on the baking sheet. Do the same with the remaining strips. Place them 2 inch apart. Brush them with egg wash.
- Place the baking sheet in the heated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Let them cool completely before storing them.