Indian lentil soup or daal is an everyday staple at many Indian houses. It is an inexpensive and delicious way to add protein to your diet. It is warm and hearty. Serve this spicy daal with some toasted bread, naan or plain rice on the side.
Indian three lentil soup (daal)
- 1/2 cup moong daal (Mung daal)
- 1/2 cup urad daal (Black Gram daal)
- 1/2 cup toor daal (Yellow Pigeon Pea)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 red chilles
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook all the 3 daals together for 5-6 whistles. Add some salt while pressure cooking.
- Once the pressure is off, remove daal from pressure cook and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they splutter add ginger, garlic, curry leaves, red chilled and pinch of asafoetida. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes. Mix everything well and saute for 5-7 minutes. Once oil starts to separate add cooked daal.
- Stir everything and let it come to a boil. Add water to adjust consistency.
- Add salt and let it cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat and add chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot as soup or as a side to white rice.