Sheera or sooji ka halwa is a popular sweet dish in India. Add an extra element of flavor with mango. Use fresh mango pulp when mangoes are in season or simply substitute for canned mango pulp.
- 1/2 cup rava (semolina) (sooji)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mango pulp
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp almond slices
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 10-12 strands saffron
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Warm 1 tbsp milk and add saffron strands to it. Let it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a non stick pan. Add cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios and saute for 30 seconds until they turn slightly golden brown. Drain and remove them on a plate.
- In the same pan add rava and roast it on medium low heat until a nice aroma comes and the rava turns very slightly golden brown.
- Add water and stir. Lower the heat to low and cover it with a lid. Let the rava cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, mango pulp, roasted cashews, almonds, pistachios and saffron milk. Stir everything well.
- Cover it back and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Garnish with pistachios.
- Serve warm or cold.