Make this healthy and nutritious moong daal for a weekday dinner. It is fast and can be prepared with staple pantry ingredients when vegetables are not available. Serve it hot with plain rice or naan. This daal can also be served as soup with toasted garlic bread on the side.
Moong Daal with Coconut Milk
- 1 cup whole moong daal (mung daal)
- 6-7 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 red chilles
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoedita
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk canned or fresh
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash whole moong daal and add 2 1/2 cups water to it. Pressure cook moong daal for 8-9 whistles. Once the pressure is off remove cooked moong daal from pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, red chilles, garlic, turmeric powder and asafoedita.
- Saute for 10 seconds and add cooked moond daal. Mix well and add water little water if required. Do not add to much water as coconut milk will also add to the liquid consistency of the daal.
- Add salt and keep heat on simmer and let the daal come to a boil.
- Lower heat and add coconut milk. Stir and turn off heat. More coconut milk can be added for extra flavor.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or plain rice.