Pav is an Indian version of burger bun. They are very versatile and used in serving many Indian street food dishes like pav bhaji, vada pav, dabeli. These fresh homemade buns are so delicious that they can simply be enjoyed with a cup of tea.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 packet rapid rising yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 5-6tbsp melted butter
- In a large bowl mix bread flour, baking soda, yeast, salt and sugar. Keep aside.
- In another bowl mix together warm milk, warm water, 3 tbsp butter. Mix everything well.
- Start adding wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Slowly knead to form a soft loose dough ball.
- Coat the dough and bowl with 1-2 tbsp melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take a large glass baking dish and grease with butter or oil.
- Dough will rise at this point. Grease hands with oil and spread the dough on a greased flat surface.
- Cut the dough equally into 12 parts.
- Form round balls of each part and place them in the glass bowl. Leave at least 1-2 inch space between the balls.Once all the balls are formed coat them with little oil and cover them with plastic wrap. Place the baking dish in a warm place. Let the dough balls double in size. it should take about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Place baking dish in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they turn light golden brown.
- Brush the hot pav with butter before serving.