Tigul vadis are popular Makarsankrant sweets made in Maharashatra. They are made from til (sesame seeds) and gul (jaggery). Make this simple microwave version in less than 10 minutes. They are nutritious, healthy, yummy and loved by everyone.
Tilgul Vadi Microwave Version
- 3/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground peanut powder
- 1 cup dark jaggery
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp butter or ghee
- Butter or ghee to grease
- In a microwave safe bowl add sesame seeds. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave again for 1 minute. Stir again and microwave for 1 more minute. Check to make sure sesame seeds are roasted and slightly golden brown. If not roast for another 30 seconds. It can take between 3-5 minutes. Remove sesame seeds in a plate.
- Add 1 tsp butter and powdered jaggery to the same bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Keep mixing at 30 second intervals. It should take about 2-3 minutes depending on microwave strength. It should have turned thick and foamy at this point.
- Remove from microwave. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, peanut powder and roasted sesame seeds. Mix everything well. Add 2 tsp water and stir.
- Pour the mixture on a greased plate. Mixture will be very hot. Use back of a flat spoon or bowl to pat down the mixture.
- Mark cuts on the surface. They can be square or diamond shapes. Keep it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until it cools down.
- Break into pieces and serve.